Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Running and Hedgehogs

Well, I hit something after doing this once before and it all went away. It's not like I just started with a computer. I don't know what my problem is. Here we go again.
Read Run by Ann Patchett. A little disappointing. A little too politically correct and I figured out about halfway through what was going to happen ultimately.
Then I just had to have The Elegance of the Hedgehog. Not sure what I read that convinced me, but I had to run right out and buy it. After the first couple of chapters all I could think was VERBOSE AND PRETENTIOUS. (did I spell that right?) I could hardly get through the first few chapters, too philosophical for my tastes, but low and behold, the main character mentioned two of her favorite authors, Connelly and Mankell (!!!) and I knew I had to keep slogging on. It gets better, but it certainly bursts my bubble of self-delusion about how well-read I am. Oh, well, I think that's good every now and then - to make you question your image of your self.

No comments: